Thursday, May 9, 2013

Long time between drinks ...

Wow ... what an extended blogging hiatus it has been. For a good while I have been saying to myself that I must get back into this but the evidence before you tells the true story ;)

My initial motivation to start blogging again was to those interested who wish to follow my travels around NZ. Tomorrow I leave for 3 weeks with a good friend, Greg Farmer to meander around the South Island in search of landscaping nirvana. No, not the type with pick & shovel variety - the mega vista captured on camera style.

Since kicking around those initial motivations though a few things have happened. :) When I get time, I will expand on them, but to cut to the chase ...

I was recently approached to be the feature artist at the Winmalee Artfest. To say it went well might be a little understated. The 500+ pieces in the show were judged by Paul Brinkman & Robyn Williams, curators from galleries in Katoomba and the Hawkesbury on Friday the 3rd of May 2013.


"Impending" was selected as the overall winning image. The print was quickly bought by a local collector. 

Saturday the 4th of May 2013 was a road trip to Canberra for the NSW/ACT AIPP Awards. This year the judging of the prints took place in Canberra. During the 2 day judging process over 900 images were judged by panels of 5 experts in the various genres.

I submitted 8 images and received 6 silver and 2 silver with distinction awards. This far exceeded my expectations and was a very pleasant surprise.

Last night, (9th of May) at the Arthouse Hotel in Sydney, the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP) NSW presented the category winners with certificates & trophies. I took out the Science, Nature & Environment Photographer of the Year award. This is my first category win as an accredited member of the institute. In 2011 I did win the Australian Student Photographer of the Year.

Anyway I need to finish this off and go pack for NZ.

Blog again soon from across the ditch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment